Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Vicious Circle Conundrum

I skipped work today. Officially speaking, its a sick leave. But I am not really sick. (I'm positively sure my boss won't see this) Demotivated, perhaps.
So I was trying to figure out why I am demotivated. Its not that hard really. When you bang your proverbial head against a wall 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, you feel demotivated. Nothing motivates you like making progress in whatever you are doing. The feeling of 'getting somewhere' is innocuously powerful - however small the increment may be. Its probably why people suddenly start walking faster when they feel they are close to their destination. Some people think its appreciation that motivates - I disagree. Appreciation ostensibly seems to motivate - but the real cause is that it gives us a feeling of making progress. Undeserved appreciation is actually scary.
So then the answer to demotivation (and preserving your sick leaves for real illnesses) is to make progress. But hey, you can't make much progress unless you are motivated in the first place! Thats the vicious circle I'm talking about.
The only way out - as far as I can see - is to get a burst of energy when you are demotivated to propel you out of the rut and make enough progress to feel motivated again.
Good thing I'm going on a 3 week vacation in August.

We are surrounded by many such circles. E.g. Its hard to find friends unless you have some friends to start with.

Are you stuck in a circle too?

1 comment:

Karthik said...

hey Jayesh, I guess you must be on vacation now !! Enjoy the trip, and I'm sure you'll get back to work refreshed :-)